It can be challenging to make healthy food choices – especially if you are living with diabetes. In order to manage diabetes without complications, eating healthier foods is an essential component of your treatment. By sticking to regular mealtimes, controlling portion size, and eating right, you can keep your body weight and blood sugar within the right target range.
What Is A Good Diabetes Diet?
It can be a challenge to determine what makes up a good diabetes diet. A good diabetes diet consists of a diet with whole grains, vegetables, and fruits. It also has to be high in nutrients and low in calories and fats.
Foods To Avoid
If you or your loved one has diabetes, there are a few crucial foods that you want to avoid (or keep as limited as possible). This does not mean that you have to throw out all the sugar in your kitchen, but it does mean that you should try the following:
- Limit your alcohol intake
- Eat less cholesterol – Try to keep it less than 200 mg per day
- Eat less sugar – You want to avoid the added sugar in packaged snack foods and drinks
- Eat less salt – Processed, packaged, and canned foods often contain a great deal of hidden sodium
Foods That DO Belong On Your Shopping List
Enough about what seniors living diabetes cannot eat; it is now time to talk about what they CAN eat. These are some of the foods that you want to stock up on:
- Good fats – It is a good idea to eat these in sparing amounts. These include nuts, olives, and avocados
- Lean proteins – Nonfat, low-fat dairy, lean cuts of pork or beef, skinless fish or poultry are all good options to include here
- Fruits and vegetables – The dark green veggies are recommended, including spinach and broccoli, orange vegetables such as sweet potatoes and carrots, and plenty of peas and beans
- Fiber – Wheat bran, legumes, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and oatmeal
- Healthy carbohydrates – These include low-fat dairy products, fruits and vegetables, peas, and lentils, beans, and legumes
Because eating healthy every day can be a chore, many families love the concept of having their loved one surrounded by professionals who are also able to help plan meals. That way, you can be sure that your loved one gets all the nutrients that he or she needs. That is why so many prefer the options found at www.carltonseniorliving.com.